REDC and Capital Funding Opportunities Now Open!
REDC and Capital Funding Opportunities Open 5/1!
We are excited to announce that NYSCA will accept applications for FY2019 funding for three programs beginning May 1, 2018: Arts and Culture Initiatives Funding and the Large Capital Project Fund through the Regional Economic Development Council (REDC), and a new Mid-Size Capital Fund.
The deadline to submit your application through the Consolidated Funding Application (CFA) is July 27, 2018 at 4PM. All applications must Prequalify with New York State to be eligible for funding.
Details are available below and on the REDC initiative and Capital Funding Opportunities pages of NYSCA’s website. View a comparison of Capital Funding opportunities here.
REDC Application Workshop Calendar
Regional Economic Development Council Competition Open May 1, 2018
Round VIII of New York State’s Regional Economic Development Council (REDC) program will include two NYSCA funding programs:
NYSCA Arts and Culture Initiatives funding will award up to $5 million across the state’s 10 regions to enhance and transform the cultural and economic vitality of New York State communities.
NYSCA’s Arts & Cultural Facilities Improvement Program will offer up to $5 million in funding through the Large Capital Project Fund across the state to arts and cultural organizations.
NYSCA’s REDC Initiative makes grant awards in all ten of the state’s regions. Priority will be given to applicants that have not received NYSCA REDC Initiative funding in previous years.
Applicants are not eligible to receive REDC funding for projects currently supported or under consideration by NYSCA.
For detailed information on the state's REDC program, please review the CFA Resource Guide (NYSCA programs pages 35-56) and CFA Process Guide, which includes a calendar of application workshops. The contract and work period for all Arts and Cultural Initiatives funding is from March 2019 through February 2020.
Arts and Cultural Initiatives Funding
Arts and Cultural Initiatives Funding will provide support in three categories:
1. Arts and Cultural Impact Programming
Support is provided for the implementation of new, bold programming initiatives designed to have a measurable economic and community development impact in a community or region. NEW for FY19: Support is available for Artist Positions that will employ an individual artist to carry out public engagement projects that highlight REDC Goals.
Support for impact initiatives is available in the following areas:
• Erie Canal Bicentennial Celebration
• Women’s Suffrage Commemoration
• Art and Artists In Public Places
Arts and Cultural Impact Programming Awards
• Awards range from $10,000 - $49,500
• 50% cash match is required from non-NYSCA sources
• Partnership applications are strongly encouraged
2. Workforce Investment
Workforce Investment support is designed to expand the capacity of New York State’s arts and cultural organizations. Grant awards will support ONE expanded staff position or ONE new staff position.
Support for Workforce Investment initiatives is available in the following areas:
• Administrative Position
• Artistic Position
• Resident Artist Position
Workforce Investment Awards
• Range from $25,000 - $75,000, one-year period
• 25% cash match is required from non-NYSCA sources
• Organizations that have already received REDC Workforce Investment funding are not eligible to apply in this category
• The applicant’s overall operational budget may not exceed $1,000,000.
- Exception: There is no limit on the operational budget size for applications submitted for the Resident Artist focus area.
3. Workforce Readiness
Workforce Readiness support is designed to prepare emerging professionals for careers in the arts through innovative training, mentoring and professional development programs. A successful Workforce Readiness Program will include one or more of the following: work experiences such as summer and year-round employment, on-the-job training, apprenticeships, internships and job-shadowing opportunities.
Support for Workforce Readiness initiatives is available in the following areas:
• Arts Career Development Fellowships for Underrepresented Communities
• Arts Career Training Programs
Workforce Readiness Awards
• Range from $30,000 - $75,000, one-year period
• 25% cash match is required from non-NYSCA sources
• Funds may not support contracted employees or seasonal staff
• At least 30% of the proposed program budget must be used to compensate participants
• Workforce Readiness grants will only support direct program costs
Large Capital Project Fund:
Available through the REDC initiative, the Large Capital Project Fund has been established to strengthen tourism, promote business development, and improve the quality, efficiency and accessibility of New York State arts and cultural organizations through targeted investments.
Eligible arts and culture costs include, but are not limited to:
• Acquisition of land and/or buildings, new construction, renovation, or expansion of leasehold improvements
• Acquisition of fixed capital equipment
• Acquisition of fixtures
• Soft costs of up to 15% of total project costs
• Design studies related to a specific capital project
Large Capital Project Fund Awards
• Only request amounts between $250,000 and $1,000,000 will be considered
• Require a 50% cash match from non-state agency sources
Mid-Size Capital Project Fund
Through Capital Fund support NYSCA makes strategic investments in supporting cultural organizations to help them become more physically accessible, stabilize their facilities, support their artistic efforts, and become more sustainable for their communities. Strong facilities projects combine excellence in design with informed decisions which will positively affect the future of arts and cultural organizations across the state.
Support is available in the following areas:
• Capital Equipment
• Capital Projects
• Design Studies
Mid-Size Capital Project Fund Awards
• Range from $50,000 - $250,000
• For requests smaller than $50,000, please consider applying in 2019 for FY20 funding through NYSCA’s Facilities Program.
For questions about NYSCA REDC opportunities, email NYSCA.REDC@arts.ny.gov.
For questions about the Mid-Size Capital Fund, email NYSCA.MIDCAP@arts.ny.gov.