Who can apply through a Fiscal Sponsor?
Individual Artists and unincorporated arts organizations are not eligible to apply directly to NYSCA but may still receive funding through our grant programs — including commissions through our Individual Artist Program — by applying through a fiscal sponsor.
Here’s what you need to know to apply:
What exactly is a Fiscal Sponsor?
A Fiscal Sponsor is a New York State non-profit organization that applies to NYSCA on behalf of individual artists, unincorporated arts organizations or groups, or non-profit arts organizations choosing not to apply directly themselves. The fiscal sponsor receives and disburses funds related to the grant, assuring that the project is carried out as described and submitting the final report of grant activity.
Who can apply for support through a Fiscal Sponsor?
NYSCA supports applications through Fiscal Sponsors in the following programs:
- Architecture + Design - including support for individual artists through the Independent Projects category
- Arts Education
- Folk Arts
- Individual Artists -including support for composer, playwright, librettist, theatre director or designer, choreographer, and electronic media and film artist commissions
- Special Arts Services
How to Apply through a Fiscal Sponsor
Step1: The Fiscal Sponsor registers each sponsored request on the NYSCA website. In order to successfully register a request, fiscal sponsors must complete, in this order:
- Organization Information
- Organization Budget
- Registration Form
Step 2: The Fiscal Sponsor sends the Sponsored Request Form to the Sponsored Entity to complete and return.
- Upon registering a request(s), the Sponsor will be provided a link to download the Sponsored Request Form for the Sponsored Entity to complete.
- The NYSCA website will generate a unique Project ID for each successfully registered request. Each Fiscal Sponsor must include the ID in each Grants Gateway application. It is also required on the Sponsored Request Form.
Step 3: The Sponsored Entity completes the Sponsored Request Form.
This form is an editable PDF. The Sponsored Request Form requires the following information:
- General information on the Sponsored Organization/Individual
- Project Budget
- Project ID
- Narrative Application Questions
Step 4: The Sponsored Entity returns the completed Sponsored Request Form and required support materials to the Fiscal Sponsor well before NYSCA’s application deadline.
Step 5: The Fiscal Sponsor completes and submits one Grants Gateway application for each sponsored request.
- In the Program Specific Questions section of the Gateway, the Fiscal Sponsor should answer the Basic Eligibility Questions for the Fiscal Sponsor organization and the first two Standard Questions. If additional Standard Questions appear, please enter “N/A.”
- All other Program Specific Questions are completed on the Sponsored Request Form. Please do not complete any other Category Specific Questions in the Grants Gateway.